Friday, March 31, 2006

Sunrise Immigration

Inasmuch as I wish I didn't have to get up so early for work and wish I didn't have such a long commute, I have to pause and give God kudos for the breath-taking sunrises I've been treated to this past week. I am in awe at how God can fill the canvas of the pre-dawn sky with such amazing light and color and how each display is both spectacular and unlike any that has taken place before it. You are truly God and I am thankful! With daylight savings time waiting in the wings this weekend, it'll be a while before I can again enjoy this miracle.

Occupying much of the news this past week is the debate over how to address illegal immigration. I think those who would like to see it become a felony are guilty of exaggerating statistics when they suggest that those crossing our borders are nothing but murderers, robbers, rapists and child molesters. Working in a prison in a state that is the destination of many of them, I can assure you there are plenty of red, white and blue-blooded citizens who are filling that bill. However our elected officials dance around the issue so as to be either politically correct or re-electable, I suggest we consider that we are all immigrants in a world that belongs to God. What the heck, I could also probably argue that there are more spouses than any of us might imagine who feel like an illegal immigrant in their own home! Sometimes I do.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

No comments: