Monday, March 27, 2006

Identity After Divorce

My kids' grandfather passed away Saturday morning. This is the first time Shane (15) and Kaitlyn (13) have experienced the death of someone close to them. My weekend was spent comforting and attending to their feelings.

I have probably not found myself in a more awkward situation. The deceased was my ex's father. I never had any problems with my in-laws and, together with my ex, much time was spent together on weekends traveling. A disabled truck driver, my former mother-in-law cared for her husband for as long as I can remember over 15 years ago. I often considered how lucky a man he was to have a wife who would stand by him and provide for his basic needs when he could no longer give anything back in return.

When I took my kids over to see their mom and grandmother, I walked them to the house and stepped in the doorway to offer my condolences. How awkward it felt seeing people that had once been a part of my life but were no longer because my ex chose not to have me as the person she wished at her side when facing moments such as these. Divorce doesn't take away that part of me given away to my ex and her family over the years. But who was I Saturday, really? I don't know.

I'm sure my kids found comfort in the bitter brokenness of divorce being set aside if but for too brief a moment while I gave their mom and Grandmother a hug.

No comments: