Monday, April 03, 2006

Deliverance

When times become difficult or unbearable, from despair springs forth hope that leads us to seek out deliverance from the circumstances creating our adversity or ills. Characteristic throughout Judeo-Christian history is an expectation that either someone will rise up or else God himself will intervene to right the wrongs, bring justice or restore peace. The danger in this cultural conditioning, however, is that when someone or something doesn't emerge to deliver us, we are left irreparably damaged or debilitated by the despair.

We haven't fully grasped an appreciation of the power of personal intention and responsibility. People aren't prone to think of budging from the ground on which we they so comfortably, yet at times desparately, are perched. Folks don't like to venture outside of the box to question methods and attitudes in order to make the changes necessary to deliver themselves.

I find myself in a toxic marriage from which I frequently cry out for deliverance. I carry this attitude that if I can just tough it out things have to turn around and get better... At least things can't seemingly get any worse. It is wrong, however, to stand by waiting for some kind of outside magic that will renew a relationship that burdens every member of the family. The accompanying despair is depression that keeps my wife in bed all day and wreaks havoc with my physical health. The situation takes an unknown toll on my kids in addition to the heightened anxiety in which they uninvitedly find themselves in. It's definitely time (admittedly long overdue) for me to respond from the perspective of personal intention and responsibility to bring about my own deliverance.

From what personal despair do you seek deliverance? Have you clung to the hope that someone or something would magically deliver you? What can you change to bring about your own deliverance?

No comments: