Friday, September 16, 2005

Special Place, Sacred Space




While camping with my family in the summer of 1959, an 8 year old Don took off on a hike into the woods and discovered a bluff overlooking the bend in a river in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. This place has captured my imagination ever since and whenever I visit I feel at home there. Being there brings me into the presence of the transcedent God and Mother Earth. Sitting on the bluff I feel small in the scheme of life and at the same time large in the knowledge that there is a unique yet significant role I am destined to play. I have returned to my special place several times and spend time there whenever I find my life in some kind of transition.

We need special places and sacred spaces because we need to step out of the rat race of life to focus and gain perspective. We need a place where all of life’s distractions can be left behind while we focus on the two most important relationships of our existence - our God and our inner self.

Special places and sacred spaces can take many forms, from an actual geographical place like my bluff overlooking the riverbend to an altar we've created in the corner of a room. Or it may be a mystical inner place we find and can return to through meditation.

This weekend's question...

Where is your special place or sacred space? How often do you go there? What does going there bring you?

May peace be with you and yours...

© Copyright 2005 gentlefootprint. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: