Thursday, August 18, 2005

Perspective

This weblog gives me the chance to write, not as the ordained minister of an organized religion or church, but as a brother traveler along the spiritual path called life, speaking from my heart of the things I have discovered as well as the things I still seek. I have had the privilege of being invited to enter into people's lives in their most intimate moments. I have encouraged and consoled along the path with the lost, the weak, the questioning, the hurt and broken, the sick and dying. I have also celebrated along the path with the joyful, the hopeful and the dreaming. Although there is much I do not understand, I have come to believe that there truly is a time and purpose for everything under the heavens.

A friend who frequently visits my journal wrote that when I give advice "all I can do is point and hope you look." I have observed before that it is misdirected to approach the Creator without keeping in mind free will. GOD gives to us in so many wonderful ways from the gift of life itself to surrounding us with a breath taking world to bringing into our life people of such extraordinary love and example to enabling us to find our way through and find meaning in the darkest moments of our existence. At no point does GOD impose herself - She remains always a gift and we are given the choice of embracing or turning away from her.

My experience has shown me that GOD reveals herself in a unique way to each person, having called each by name before he was born and having counted the very hairs on her head. It is for this reason that I hold that religion and spirituality cannot ever be considered in a "one size fits all" manner. I do not therefore judge whatever helps another along his spiritual path, unless it imposes constraints that prohibit others from finding their own path.

Allow me to end today's reflection with a word about scripture. In my life and experience I have discovered many truths that stand alone on the weight of their own authority. One need not cite a passage from a sacred text to urge another to embrace such truths. I think sacred texts can be abused this way.

Sacred texts throughout antiquity are loaded with truths that can help us along our spiritual path. To unlock the full power and meaning of these texts requires that we appreciate first and foremost that, despite divine inspiration, they are of human origin and reflect a people in a given time and place in history profoundly aware and in awe of the relationship GOD held with them. The truths of these sacred texts, though timeless, are best revealed when they are considered within that specific historical context and divine-human relationship.

I also believe that GOD is a living GOD and that GOD's Spirit continues to breathe divine inspiration through an artist's canvas, a songwriter's lyric and an author's pen (computer). These works also reveal truths equally timeless and capable of redeeming or healing a broken world.

© Copyright 2005 gentlefootprint. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: